Monday, April 26, 2010

Sprouts. Lots of sprouts...

I was tempted to take a side trip with the boys to the garden last night. It didn't happen due to time constraints, but the temptation was there, Had I gone, I probably would have found the lovely site that awaited me this morning: all kinds of little baby plants coming up. We've got peas a-plenty, and radishes and lettuce all over. The leeks appear still to be going strong (rumor has it that to get big leeks, you let them overwinter; I have my doubts that this batch will live to see that day), but no bean sprouts yet... unless the evil quail have stolen them. Also no dill nor fennel, but given that my seed stock dated from 1996, I'm not terribly surprised.

4 comments:

Emilysa said...

Random leek fact I learned recently: If you plant them a little lower than ground level, and then fill in the hole as they sprout and get taller, you will get more of the white and more edible stalk than you will otherwise. Leeks are yummy. Maybe I will plant some too.

Emilysa said...

I'm going to plant a cherry tomato today. Hopefully it lasts long enough to get some fruit on it. That way I can fertilize it with the beard trimmer...especially since the trimmer currently serves purely as a dust gatherer. Hope your garden is growing, instead of freezing!

Joshua Tolley said...

Mmm... beard tomatoes...

Haamlette said...

I love that furry pop in the mouth...