Saturday, April 10, 2010

Peas

I haven't used this blog thing for much lately. Various friends and family blog, and sometime I think I ought to join in. I haven't made the leap yet, though, and in all likelihood I probably won't.


The blog is about the most suitable tool I have right now for one specific purpose, though. As we've been working on moving to a new house, one with a few acres we hope to grow stuff on, I've realized we'll need to do a fair bit of experimentation as we learn how properly to handle a more agricultural lifestyle, and it will be critically important to keep notes. Eventually I'm kinda thinking of applying some database technology I've been hoping to experiment with anyway, and writing my own program to handle those notes, but I've not done that yet. Instead, I'll use the blog.


So here goes. Today we planted "Early Frost" peas. This is the second planting, as the first germinated less than enthusiastically. Grandma says peas in particular need to be planted more deeply than one might expect, because they work themselves out of the ground and die if they're too shallow. Of the two initial rows, one has germinated about 60%; the other was a complete dud. So after pulling out about a billion little maple seedlings, we replanted. There's a reason they recommend composting leaves before digging them into a garden, but we didn't have that luxury; last fall we tilled in a bunch of leaves and a little fertilizer.


Karlyn and I seem to have different ideas about what it means to plant "a ton" of peas. Every year we've grown a garden, we've had a couple scraggly pea plants and enough peas that everyone in the family got one or two pods before it got too warm and the plants died, and every year we've thought "next year we'll grow more." And we have done that, but in my view, not enough more. So in the place Karlyn put two rows, I put four, and used up the package and a half of seed we had remaining.


Today we also planted a bunch of radishes (we've always thought of planting those, but never gotten around to it), two kinds of lettuce (head lettuce, and a leaf lettuce mix), and some dill and fennel. These last two sound really neat but the seeds were packed for the 1996 season, so they may not do so well.


All the plantings are covered, the peas with a garden blanket, and the rest with wood-and-wire-mesh cages. Per instructions from Grandma we haven't watered yet. Hopefully we'll get some rain in a few days (I've no idea what the weather man has to say about that; I'd just like some in a few days), or we'll start some light watering.


The boys really enjoy digging. Just not where they're told to dig.

No comments: